October 31, 2009

2009 Photo Finish Holiday Cards

We all love to send photos with our holiday cards. And I love to receive holiday cards that have a photo tucked inside too. Nichole has challenged the Papertrey gang to go one step further and incorporate the photo within the design of the card.

For my card, I used a copy of an old photo that I found while taking an Ali Edwards online scrapbooking class. The photo is of my siblings, me and my cousins. We always got lined up from shortest to tallest just as the photo shows. I'm going to make cards for all my siblings this year like this...I know they'll love to reminesce. I drew my color inspiration from the red, blue and green colors in the old photo. For the base card, I used Kraft cardstock and three strips of patterned paper. The green and blue papers are from the Friends Til The End collection and the red paper is from the Green Tea Leaves collection. I stamped the tree from Pine's Holiday Tree in Ripe Avocado ink then stamped on polka dots in Pure Poppy and Enchanted Evening. I added clear sequins to add some sparkle.
Because I stitched around my top layer of the card, I wanted to cover up the stitch lines on the inside. I cut a piece of Pure Poppy cardstock to fit and then punched a scallop edge along one short side, using a Fiskars border punch.
It gives a nice finished edge to my card...and on the inside, it leaves a place for me to attach this year's family photo. I can stamp or write my holiday message on the right side.
I hope you give this fun idea a try! For more inspiration, check out the other Papertrey girls' blogs:

Nichole Heady
Becky Oehlers
Heather Nichols
Lauren Meader
Lisa Johnson

8 comments:

Debbie Olson said...

I think they'll LOVE it, Mish!

Heidi said...

Your card is so cute! They're all going to be so pleased with this card! So much fun!!

Diane Jaquay said...

What a GREAT idea Michelle!! I think I have an old Christmas photo with my siblings and cousins and I would just love to do this for them! Thanks for the inspiration!

Susan said...

What a great card! The idea of using that old photo was inspired -I'm sure it will bring a smile and a lot of happy memories to the recipients.

Sharron said...

What a great idea to use old photos. I'm sure your family will really enjoy looking back and remembering all those wonderful memories!

Tracey McNeely said...

An excellent way to use an old photo. I have four siblings and this is such a great idea.

Starla said...

What a GREAT idea using an old family photo!! Christmas is about memories and your family is going to LOVE this!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I sent you an email a few days ago and wanted to make sure you received it. Thank you! Erin

Great idea on the vintage photo card! How fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails