June 30, 2009

Vintage Picnic..apples for teacher

Good day to you! Today I have another fun card showcasing Papertrey's Vintage Picnic. Let me show you a few Copic tips first on selecting colors for your projects. I usually use patterned paper for my projects so I always start there for my color inspiration.

I'll be coloring apples for my card today, so I chose this cute October Afternoon paper to coordinate. I started by choosing the green for my apples by laying the patterned paper next to my color chart (sorry, not available) that has the closest color of greens. I usually pick 2-3 shades that match...I chose YG93 and YG95.
Then I moved on to the reds for the apples. I chose R24 and R29.
I also used the same method to choose some tans for my basket...I chose E31 and E35. Then what I do is make a color palette to see what my colors look like on paper. Just as if I painting, I always test my colors on scrap paper first. I make a few scribbles of the color groupings just to make sure they blend well together, side by side.
Then it's just a matter of filling in the colors on my stamped image. Today I used the plaid vintage picnic basket from Vintage Picnic, the cute apples and the *for my teacher* sentiment from Vintage Picnic Sentiments.
I punched out my colored image with a scalloped square punch and then dolled it up using Borders and Corners Squares. For the background topper portion of my card, I used Background Basics: Text Style to add some text background, keeping with the teacher theme on the card. Pure Poppy ribbon, a tied Vintage Button and Ripe Avocado cardstock finish off the card.
This type of card will be perfect for when the girls return to school this Fall. School themed but not too kiddy looking. This card paired up with a few apples and maybe a little caramel apple dip...all packaged up cute in a basket......it will make for scoring some good brownie points with the teachers right from the get go. ;)


Have a great day everyone!! Go enjoy your summer!!!!!!

24 comments:

BethieJ said...

OH I LOVE it... such a cute card.. LOVE the idea of apples and caramel dip too!!
I have to tell you I made your picnic corn salad last night for my family! (even in the jars!) we all LOVED it.. Thanks for sharing it!
Have a GREAT day!

Kara said...

I was just thinking about you today when I came across this on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27085239&ref=sr_list_14&&ga_search_query=picnic+basket&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Great card and such a sweet gift idea!
Kara

Patti Gingrich said...

Those apples look good enough to eat! Beautiful card Michelle!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Fantastic, Mish!! LOVE IT when you go step-by-step with the Copics... and it always turns out so beautifully!

Gabriela said...

Wow! Superb color choices and I adore the finished product. Thanks so much for showing the color chart to demonstrate how you made your Copic color selection.

Erin McKinney said...

Love it! Youe cards are such inspiration...thanks!!

I always give the teachers a beautiful apple, caramel dip, and a slicer for teacher appreciation week! Your card would be perfect with it!

dolcreations said...

Thank-you so much for the inspiration! Oh my goodness..you are so talented!
Christine

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am always amazed by your projects! Thanks for always sharing with us! I can't wait to case this card!!!

Julie said...

How beautiful is that card, i wish i was a teacher and great idea abou the little gift basket. Julie xxx

Unknown said...

Michelle, your blog is the first one i go to every morning - excited to see what you have made..and you always do something wonderful! Thank you for sharing your talent with the blog world..

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing how you match your copics with your project. It is really helpful.

{pam} said...

sheesh . . . i wanna be your girls' teacher!!! in 10 years of teaching i have only gotten one apple . . . and there wasn't an adorable card or caramel dip with it! awesome idea!!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Awesome card! I love the idea of adding apple dip!

Katie W. said...

LOVE this card! Now if only I could color as good as you!

Tami McBeain said...

I love this card and the apple paper is perfect with your vintage picnic basket! You always add such fun details to your cards, I love the little boarder around the square!

MichelleY said...

THUD! This card is fabulous!!! I adore the layout and your amazing coloring! You ROCK, Mishie!!!

Dottie K. said...

Such a cute card and with that apple kit it's a perfect teacher gift. :)

Cindy H. said...

I love your card!! I think there may be some shopping in my near future!

Kathleen said...

What a great card! I really like it---your apples are beautiful!

Heidi said...

Such a cute card! Thanks for the copic tips.

Karen said...

I adore this card. What a fantastic idea. I think the girl's teachers are very lucky to receive such nice gifts. Your always have such fabulous ideas for little gifts. Thanks bunches for sharing.

zcdl said...

absolutely gorgeous card :)

Banu said...

Very very pretty card. I wonder if you have your copic color chart some where else on your blog. let me go look. I loved this concept of picking colors for coloring.

~Christina said...

Michelle, you have gotten me so imspired to start using the Copic markers! I have purchased several of them and am enjoying coloring again! Did you just make up your own Copic color sheet? The ones in the store are so small I can hardly read the numbers...did you just make a list...I can see a little of your list and was just looking for some pointers so I can create my own! Thanks so much! Christina

Related Posts with Thumbnails