February 8, 2008

Lockhart Warm Socks.....in floral

Today I have my Josey girl home sick with the flu, poor thing! As a mom, I really hate that helpless feeling of not being able to make my child feel better. So today, I'm hangin' with my girl, bringing her crackers and 7 Up, fluffing her pillow and just keeping her company. So when she's dozing, I catch up on some stamping....which brings me to today's creations......Get Well Soon cards. How appropriate right? These cards are a continuation of my last post where I showed you this same Lockhart Warm Socks stamp and the CHF Open Plaid Backgrounder. All patterned paper is from K and Company. The *Get Well Soon* sentiment is from Papertrey Ink. All images are colored in with Copic markers. Also for the cards today, I drew in little flowers and polka dots on the socks, an idea that was inspired by my friend Debbie Olson. This first card below is just a simple card featuring an ol' reliable layout that I use often. I love the Karen Lockhart's sentiment on the top of the card.
For this next card, I used a snippet of that background paper I had left over from a previous card..but I added in some tiny rust colored flowers to match the socks and floral patterned paper. The teeny little flower is from a Papertrey Ink stamp set. And notice the *get well soon* sentiment. I stamped it on a scrap of grid patterned paper and just tucked it under the ribbon, love that! I did the same thing for the card above and the next card coming up.
For the card below, I used the last little morslet of that Open Plaid Backgrounder design but colored in the wide lines with a mustard marker and added those same teeny Papertrey Ink flowers but in a yellow ink.
When I was done with all my cards, I thought they need just a little something else. I thought. Thought some more. And then I got out some AMuse scallop clear stickers and by golly that did the trick! So scroll back up and look closely at the stamped images. They're all shiny. If you go to my first photo, you can see the stickers really well.

Tip of the day: Okay, let's talk about *white space*. No, it's not the surface of my winter white body begging for some Spring time sunshine!! LOL! White space is what I refer to as areas in your cards left blank...left alone.......to let the eye have a little rest and to allow your images a little breathing room. If you take a look at the first two cards, you'll notice that the stamped sock images have very little white space around them. I wanted to keep the focus on the main image and also allow as much of the patterned to show through in the background. Now look at the last card above. There is LOTS of white space around the stamped image. Do you notice the different *feel* to the cards. The first two cards allow your eye to go back and forth from the main focal image, then to the patterned paper and so forth. This last card keeps the focus on the main image pretty much because it takes front and center in that big white space. The image *breaths* a little better, the card looks *lighter* with all that white space. The sentiment and background plaid paper become secondary accents without overwhelming the card.

So my actual tip for the day is this: When stamping your images onto your white cardstock, always leave a bunch of white space around the image. Then when you actually get around to using that colored image, you'll have the choice of leaving that white space there or cropping your image to where it has very little white space. It's a good thing!

Supplies: Backgrounder stamp, Warm Socks, Get Cozy sentiment, and Copic markers all available from Ellen's online store.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cards again today, Mish! I just love seeing all the idea's with the Warm Socks stamp. You inspire me each & everyday! So sorry that your little one is sick. I hope she will feel better soon! Take care & have a great weekend!

Wendy

Donna Baker said...

what a great tip! I never leave much white space on my stamped images but I think I can after I see how yours looks! love the little grid paper - I need to get MORE CHF backgrounders now (you enabler you)

Dottie K. said...

Hope Josie feels better! Love this stamp and how you used with the pattern and plain white backgrounds. Such a different look. Have a great weekend! :)

Dottie K. said...

Oooppps just notice you spell her name Josey. Sorry Josey! Feel Better!!! :)

Cindy Lyles said...

Oh these socks are adorable Mish!!!!!!!

liannallama said...

super-cute cards and I love how you used the clear stickers!

Kerry Johnson said...

I just love when you share your process with us - especially when you mass produce. Love the cards and the scallop square is perfect! I've given you an award on my blog
http://cardsbykerry.blogspot.com/2008/02/you-like-me-you-really-like-me.html

Jill said...

Absolutely adorable cards!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

What gorgeous cards and FABULOUS coloring! Hope your little one feels better soon!

Linda Carson said...

LOVE your cards....as usual... Great tip too!

Juanita B said...

You ROCK!!! I think you have the Midas touch when it comes to cards and coloring. As usual I love the variations. TFS.

Janine said...

Oh Wow... these are so nice. I really do have to ink up my sock stamp!!!

Anonymous said...

OK,you pushed me into getting the sock stamp and stamp of the month kit...I say thanks, my hubby does NOT....lol (of course, I had to get some of the nestabilities while I was there too! Great cards,
Lenita

Lana said...

I'm testing this to see if I can comment now. Hi mishie!

Lana said...

WOOHOOOO! It worked! Now I can comment on your blog again! PFFFFFFFT! I may be learning how to do this blogging stuff after all! LOVE YOU MISHIE!

Kerry said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I just ordered this as the monthly set on Ellen's site.

Anonymous said...

GO mama
from, (your baby) josey

Related Posts with Thumbnails